Vacancy for Musical Director
PIRBRIGHT GOSPEL CHOIR IS LOOKING FOR A NEW DIRECTOR!
Pirbright Gospel Choir is looking for a Musical Director to lead and develop an established gospel choir of around 30 members. The choir was formed in 2012 as an outreach project for St. Michael's and All Angels Church, but it welcomes singers of all faiths and none. We have grown both in membership and in confidence, with many successful public performances over the years.
WHO WE ARE
Pirbright Gospel Choir grew out of the idea that singing is good for everyone, and singing with others is especially good for us, but that many people who would like to be able to sing did not feel able to. The premise of the choir was that people would be able to enjoy singing together irrespective of their previous experience, musical training or ability to read music. So the choir is quite sociable and informal, with a range of musical ability. We learn a lot of our music by ear, though almost all are able to read music to some extent and can support those who do not. We enjoy a wide range of music, including spirituals and hymns, but also popular and folk songs, traditional songs, old time and modern classics. A list of some of the songs in our repertoire is attached. Most importantly, we are enthusiastic and fun loving, our choir nights are full of laughter and as well as music, but we do want to aim high and are constantly trying to improve.
We have four or five regular performance opportunities each year, including special church services, the annual village fair, a small local music festival and shared concerts with other local choirs. In February this year we achieved out first full solo concert which filled the church and was a great success.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Most of all we are looking for someone who can bring out the best in this enthusiastic and friendly community choir, someone who can inspire us to new achievements, someone with the patience to develop untrained singers and someone with a sense of fun to help us keep trying.
The role of the Director includes
· Being responsible for the overall ethos and performance standard of the choir.
· Making decisions about the style of music and songs for the choir.
· Developing a performance and rehearsal calendar of events for the year.
· Developing our technique, understanding, application and appreciation of music.
· Directing rehearsals and performances supported by the Choir Leaders.
· Advising and liaise with committee members.
· Ensuring that the members enjoy themselves.
There is a committee who support the Director by taking on administrative roles, social organisation and occasionally leading sessions. Whilst we cannot pay professional fees, we are willing to pay reasonable expenses.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
· An opportunity to shape and develop a community choir to your vision
· A committed and enthusiastic group of people who want to sing and enjoy singing
· A group who are prepared to take on a challenge, and have a tendency to rise to the occasion
· A sociable, friendly and supportive context for developing your skills as a choir leader
· Administrative support to enable you to focus on music
· Established opportunities to perform
· A lot of laughter, any excuse to celebrate, a bottomless chocolate box and home-made cake.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
· A regular commitment to our choir
· A depth of musical knowledge and expertise to be able to conduct, teach and direct us in a range of musical styles and songs
· Inspiration and leadership to enable us to grow with you
· Support, encouragement and occasionally patience, to get the best out of the less confident singers
SOME NITTY GRITTY
The choir meets on Wednesday evenings during term time, from 8-9:30 pm in the Pirbright Village Primary School music suite. Members currently pay a small weekly subscription which covers the costs of room hire, music etc. We do not currently have an accompanist, but are keen to find one.
PIRBRIGHT GOSPEL CHOIR REPERTOIRE
This is just a few of the songs we have been singing recently
Amazing Grace words by John Newton, arr. Otis Skillings
Amazing Grace arr. in the style of Soweto Gospel Choir by Cathy McEvoy
Amazing Grace music by Sam Cooke
Bring Me Little Water, Silvy Lead Belly, arr. Moira Smiley
Come And Go With Me Trad. Words, melody & arr. Ken Burton
Down in the River to Pray Trad. American
Fie, Nay Prithee John Blow? arr. Lin Marsh
Goodnight Sweetheart Calvin Carter, James Hudson, arr. Robert Sund
Hallelujah Leonard Cohen, arr. Jetse Bremer
King Kong’s Kangaroo Alison Burns
Now Behold the Lamb Kirk Franklin
Mary Did You Know Lowry/ Greene arr. Schrader
Operator William Spivery, arr. Kirby Shaw
Over My Head Pamela Warrick Smith
Siyahamba South African Freedom Song
Steal Away Trad. Spiritual, arr. Mark De-Lisser
Total Praise Richard Smallwood
Walking on Sunshine Kimberley Rew arr Gitika Partington